Skip to content
Home News Participants agree, Budapest pulled off a special 2020 FISU World Forum

Participants agree, Budapest pulled off a special 2020 FISU World Forum

World Forum 16 August 2020

Forum 2020 Day3 1Parallel discussions and working groups took place both in person in Budapest and online during the 2020 FISU World Forum, the first time the event has had such a virtual platform for attendees to participate through

Fifteen hundred participants, including 600 university students; 105 countries represented, taking part in 15 workshops and seven roundtable discussions over three days.

While there is nothing like the real, in-person thing of bringing the world of university sport together, the online edition of the FISU World Forum proved to be more than just an assembly point for the National University Sports Federations. The Budapest event fully lived up to the billing from the previous 14 editions as the gathering spot where the worlds of sports and education come together to share the projects and programmes that they have developed that have contributed to the University Sports Movement.

Forum 2020 Day3 3FISU leadership was unanimous in their praise of the Budapest organising committee that stepped up to develop an immersive digital platform and engaging programme with a diverse line-up of presenters.

“You not only kept your nerve when the circumstances around COVID-19 threatened this important biennial coming together and celebration of university sport improving educational practices around physical activity, but you also held the string aptly and expertly in the background,” said Dr Verena Burk, FISU Senior Executive Committee member and Education Committee chair.

“And let me personally thank the members of the FISU Education Committee and the FISU Staff, on whom I can count at any time and on any occasion,” added Dr Burk in her concluding remarks.

“Above all may we congratulate you, the participants of the FISU World Forum, on superb performances and involvement during these days.”

The third and final day of the Forum centred around workshops and panel discussions around ensuring inclusion in university sport, as well as sports professionals and leaders talking about the paths they see university sports headed in future years.

While it’s time to bid adieu to Budapest and the 2020 edition of the FISU World Forum, the shared sentiment of FISU and the broader university sports community coming from the event was, “Together, we have shown what true teamwork is.”

Forum 2020 Day3 2

The crescendo of the Forum’s closing ceremony took place with the virtual passing of the FISU flag to the next host country, Costa Rica. The rector of the Costa Rica Institute of Technology, Paulino Méndez, addressed the audience. Costa Rican First Vice President Epsy Campbell followed by welcoming the attendees to attend the 2022 event in a live speech.

Just before the curtain fell, 2020 FISU World Forum organising committee leader Dániel Mezei addressed the attendees. “Ladies and gentlemen, dear guests, I hope you have enjoyed FISU’s first digital World Forum. Thank you all for attending the online event; it has been a great pleasure to have you here. I wish you all the best and I hope you will also participate in the next FISU World.”

When the summer of 2022 comes around, we look to see you in Costa Rica — absolutely in person and perhaps virtually as well — for the 16th assembly of the FISU World Forum.