A place to exchange ideas and best practices
Every two years and alternating with the FISU World University Games event years, the FISU World Forum brings together students, officials and other key partners involved in the University Sport Movement with FISU Member Associations. Combining academic sessions with cultural, educational and sporting activities, it is a powerful communication platform for the various university sports communities. This combination gives the FISU World Forum an educational value in the broadest sense of the term.
The FISU World Forum is held over five days. It usually focuses on one main theme and several sub-themes, each of which is moderated by a speaker specialised in the subject area. Workshops/ seminars on each sub-theme are held every day. The FISU World Forum is also a platform for the member National University Sports Federations (NUSF) to share and promote projects and programmes that they have developed, which contribute to the University Sports Movement. With a constantly evolving format, the FISU World Forum aims at providing a marketplace for discussions on ideas and projects for its participants. Students also have project management sessions, young leaders develop their initiatives focusing on the main theme of each event and present their projects to all the participants and to FISU.
The first edition of the FISU World Forum was organised in 1992, which gathered 89 participants from 21 countries. Through 16 editions, the FISU World Forum has been organised on 4 continents and reached around 2800 participants. Participants also had opportunities to practice different sports – from curling to handball, badminton to archery among many others.
Latest edition: 2022 COSTA RICA FISU WORLD FORUM
The event’s driving theme:
“University Sport as a Driver for Sustainable Development”
- Good health and well-being
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Reduction of inequalities
Next edition: ZAGREB 2024 FISU WORLD FORUM
The event’s driving theme:
“University Sport: Creating a Better World”
- Diversity and Inclusion: Fostering gender equality, inclusivity, and accessibility in university sports.
- Sports Diplomacy and Global Relations: Leveraging university sports for international collaboration and cultural exchange.
FISU World Forum – Facts & Figures
- Duration: 5 days
- Numbers: an average of 200 participants (but not limited)
- Reach: over 60 countries
- Frequency: every two years in even-numbered years
- Participants: representatives of national and continental university sports federations, international sports and educational organisations, organisers of FISU events, FISU Family members
- Held biennially since 1992
- Next edition: 27-31 August 2024 in Zagreb, Croatia