Deputy Mayor of the City of Monash Councillor Shane McCluskey officially launching Monash in MotionFor the 3rd year, Monash Council and Monash University will be the ‘City in Motion’ for Australia, jointly hosting a major community-sporting event from 16 August to 15 November 2018.
FISU endorsed Unisport Australia’s nomination for Monash’s ongoing hosting of the event, recognising the University and Council’s continuous commitment to building meaningful partnerships with its local communities.
The University and the Council will open up their world-class sporting facilities to the local community and students, who will be invited to participate in a range of events to promote health and well-being.
Team Monash Director Martin Doulton emphasised the importance of Monash in Motion to the community:
“As a University, we take the health and well-being of our community very seriously. Not only do we provide first-class sporting clubs for students and residents alike, but we undertake wider initiatives which highlight our commitment to both physical and mental well-being,” said Mr Doulton.
“We are thrilled to be joining forces with our partners in Monash Council to share something for everyone, from an e-sport come ‘n try night, to a Mega-Swim event to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis to a Water Wise surfing program to encourage water safety amongst our international communities.”
“The launch allows us as a community to celebrate all the hard-work that’s gone into Monash in Motion, but it’s also a reminder that our hard-work is just starting as we get the wider community to participate in our great events.”
Some of Monash’s local community sporting heroes with their awards recognising their service
The organising committee is very excited to share with you the awesome events planned for this year, which will include:
- Steptember – The wider Monash community will be invited to participate in Steptember. Teams are challenged to take more than 10,000 steps each day for the entirety of September.
- E-sports Night – Monash will host an e-sports night where students from local secondary schools will be invited to play League of Legends and interact with others from their local community. Tuesday 11 September.
- Pep Rally – Monash will celebrate its student-athletes who will compete at the 2018 National University Championships. Sunday 16 September.
- International Day of University Sport – Monash University as a community will celebrate the Day by promoting health and well-being. Thursday 20 September.
- Water wise – The City of Monash will open up its world-class aquatic centre and invite students who have never learnt to swim to gain the skills required to stay safe in the water. Thursday 27 September.
- MS Swimathon – Once more the City of Monash will open up its world-class aquatic centre to help raise money for multiple sclerosis by hosting a 24 hour swimathon. Saturday and Sunday 6 & 7 October.
- End of Event Celebration – The Monash community will celebrate the conclusion of Monash in Motion. Thursday 15 November.