Skip to content
Home News 2010 FISU Forum Update: More Chatting with the Participants

2010 FISU Forum Update: More Chatting with the Participants

World Forum 25 June 2010

Zerihun Jemaneh (ETH)VIGO – For the first time in the Forum history, the National University Sports Federation of Ethiopia is present with a delegation. FISU Media had a chat with its President, Mr. Zerihun Jemaneh. ‘We learned a lot on how to expand University Sport Activity. There is a lot of sharing information with the different participating nations. So it’s very important for us to be here because there are 72 countries present, a great opportunity to network.’ After a draught of activities for more than 15 years, Ethiopia has revived its University Sport activities since 2007. With success, as since that year the NUSF has been able to stage its National University Games annually. Nevertheless, the Ethiopian NUSF faces many challenges for the future. ‘Our biggest challenge is the budget. Qualified manpower is another great challenge’, Mr. Jemaneh explained. ‘We are definitely in need of qualified officials, so we are planning a lot of training seminars to enhance our University Sport Activities. Another problem is the lack of facilities and equipment. Luckily, currently the building of new facilities has commenced so it’s looking promising’, the Ethiopian delegate added.

Ms. Uranbileg (MGL)Ms. Uranbileg is a student in journalism actively involved in the Mongolian Student Sports Federation as a member of its student commission. ‘The Forum offers a great opportunity to gather information on University Sport, to learn about FISU and to meet a lot of people from all over the world’, Uranbilag told FISU Media. ‘I will be able to do my part in Mongolia to promote University Sport. So far we organized three World University Championships in Mongolia – Chess, Wrestling and Boxing – it is our aim to organize more international events and develop University Sport.’

The delegation of LibyaThe NUSF of the Libyan Arab Jamahiraya is present at the FISU Forum with three delegates. ‘We consider our presence here at the Forum as part of the development program for University Sport in our country. Here we can connect with a lot of other countries involved in University Sport and we can learn’, says Abbas Abdulrazzaq, International Liaison of the General Union of Students of the Great Jamahiriya. ‘This Forum acts like a channel of information. Here we can acquire important knowledge to help grow University Sport in our country.’

Christian Pierre, FISU Press Officer

Lori Thomas (USA)

Lori Thomas is the Vice-president for Championships & Human Resource of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics in the USA and is thrilled to be here in Vigo. ‘I have served on the Board of the US International University Sport Federation and I have learned a lot during that time, so the importance for me being here meant a lot, because I have the support from our board to represent the US here but at the same time with the friendship and the knowledge that you can share here it is extremely important to be at the Forum’, Mrs. Thomas explained. ‘The short time I’ve been here, I met some wonderful people from all corners of the world and you don’t get that opportunity very often.’ When asked what the biggest challenge will be her student sport organization will face, she said: ‘I think our biggest challenge is educating our country about the importance of FISU and about the importance of the World University Games about having students that are not professionals who will have an amazing opportunity to meet new people, to build long-term relationships, meet new cultures and experience diversity. I think our country is a little bit behind in the knowledge how big and how meaningful FISU is.’