Every two years the General Assembly brings together the national university sports organisations which are FISU members (163), and it elects the Executive Committee and the auditor for a four-year period. It adopts the budget and the programme of FISU activities.
The Executive Committee is composed of 27 members. It meets twice a year to take the decisions necessary for the proper functioning of FISU. The Steering Committee consists of the President, the first Vice-President, the four Vice-Presidents, the Secretary General, the Treasurer and the first Assessor. It meets periodically when convened by the President, to carry out the business of FISU between meetings of the Executive Committee.
The General Secretariat is in charge of FISU's administrative work and it is based at the ‘Maison du Sport International’ in Lausanne, Switzerland, a unique complex that brings together under one roof several of the leading players in international sports administration. This new infrastructure constitutes a remarkable opportunity for FISU, allowing to work together, cultivate contacts, share experience and exploit synergies.
FISU Offices Lausanne
The committees assist and advise the Executive Committee in the overall administration of FISU. There are 16 permanent committees:
1. International Technical Committees - CTI: one for the Summer Universiade, one for the Winter Universiade and one for the World University Championships; monitors the preparation of competitions from a technical point of view, drawing up the competition programme and ensuring the good running of the event.
2. Committee for Sports Regulations - CRS: ensures that the sports regulations are updated and proposes new rules to the EC.
3. Medical Committee - CM: supervises the organisation of medical care, as well as the norms of security and hygiene; supervises the anti-doping control procedures.
4. International Control Committee - CIC: verifies that the participants fulfil the conditions of participation.
5. Education Committee - EduC: promotes the study of university sport by organising the Conference during the Universiade, as well as the FISU Forum.
6. Media and Communication Committee - CMC: inspects and controls all the infrastructures and technical means provided to the press; cooperates with international media to ensure media coverage of FISU events.
7 & 8. Universiade Supervision Committees (Winter and Summer) - CSU: responsible for supervising the progress made in the preparation of the Universiades, by making inspection visits and meeting regulary with the leaders of the Organising Committees.
9. Finance Committee - CF: studies the budget plan with the Treasurer.
10. Committee for the Developement of University Sport - CDSU: responsible for studying all the projects aiming at developing the structures of FISU and its member associations.
11. Committee for Gender Equality - CEG: responsible for studying all the projects aiming at developing women's sport within FISU and its member associations.
12. Legal Committee - CJ: advises the EC on all legal matters related to FISU activities.
13. Intercontinental Council - CI: assesses the specific needs to encourage, support and enhance university sport in each continent.
14. Student Committee - CdE: represents the student athletes and student managers involved in university sports organisations.
15. Committee for Marketing and Strategic Partnership - CMPS: assists FISU in developing a better understanding of modern technology and the huge potential for university sport stakeholders to forge global and national partnerships from within the sports movement and beyond.
16. Disciplinary Committee - CD: preserves the integrity and reputation of FISU and FISU events, and contributes to ensure the security of the FISU student athletes.
The Auditor verifies FISU accountancy.